Paul Williams is the school’s Careers Adviser from Career Connect. He is situated in the library every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and he will be present at Parents' Evenings for any parents or students. You can arrange an appointment via Mr Barnes or contact him directly at
At Alsop, all students receive careers education which is embedded within the curriculum. However, we also provide a number of other ways for students to obtain information, advice and guidance:
- Mr Barnes - is the school’s Careers, Education, Information, Advice and Guidance (CEIAG) co-ordinator and he can help/advise with most queries. His teaching room is IT7.
- Career Connect resources - The Connected Portal has a range of careers resources including job profiles, leaflets on Higher Education and a CV builder on www.connexionslive.com. Contact Paul Williams for a Connected Portal Access Code.
- Career Connect Board - The Career Connect Board in the library will advertise upcoming open events, career fairs and vacancies.
- National Careers Service - The National Careers Service provides information, advice and guidance to help make decisions on learning, training and work opportunities. www.nationalcareersservice.directgov.uk
- Careers Library - there is a designated area in the library with lots of up-to-date information and guidance on courses, universities, jobs, careers, etc.
- Widening Participation - Mrs Burke (Science Department) organises a range of events and experiences, for example: access to Universities, finance training, open days and residential visits to a range of universities, and opportunities to experience subjects that are not normally followed in school. Our Most Able students, through the Gifted and Talented Programme, are also given extra individual advice and guidance.
Parents/carers are also welcome to contact Mr Barnes if there are any questions they have regarding their child. He is available via the following e-mail address:
Find and apply to higher education courses.
Higher and degree apprenticeships vacancies.
Working It Out - 10 Week Development Programme
Brighter Futures - Experience in Construction
Below are some links to specific websites which you may find useful:
Help with Exams
University & Study Information
Local 6th Form Colleges
European and International gap Opportunities